Up To 600 Civilians Reach Makhmour After Escaping Isis-Held Territory
Up to 600 Arab civilians escaped Islamic State-held territory and headed toward Peshmerga lines in Makhmour on Saturday (June 4).
Ahmad Anwar, a Peshmerga press officer at the front lines in Makhmour, told that civilians including women and children escaped area of Mole, which is occupied by the Islamic State (ISIS).
The civilians have been settled in Dibaga camps, east of Makhmour, and Peshmerga have provided them with basic assistance, Anwar said.
Anwar said one of the civilians received basic treatment by Peshmerga and has been transferred to a hospital in Erbil after they realized he had a gunshot wound inflicted by ISIS.
More than 350 Iraqis from ISIS-held areas south of Mosul have moved to areas under Peshmerga control after a series of military operations in the area earlier this month.
More than 3.3 million Iraqis have been displaced as a result of the fighting and more are expected to flee the militant-stronghold of Mosul and its surrounding areas as forces push towards the city.
Hundreds of civilians from Saqlawiya district northwest of the city of Fallujah were evacuated on Friday (June 3) by Iraqi Shia militia, as fighting continued to recapture the district.