Trump Defends Executive Order On Immigration
U.S. President Donald Trump will replace his executive order suspending travel from seven countries in Middle East and Africa "in the near future," according to a Justice Department court.
Given the upcoming executive order, the Justice Department said that a federal appeals court should not reconsider a ruling that suspended Trump's Jan. 27 order.
At a White House news conference, Trump defended the original iteration of the executive order, saying it was nothing wrong with the order rejected by the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals.
"We had a very smooth rollout of the travel ban but we had a bad court. We got a bad decision," Trump said, adding that the confusion at major American airports on the evening the travel ban was introduced was due, in part, to troubles with a Delta Airlines computer systems.
"Despite that, the only problem that we had is: we had a bad court. We had a court that gave us what I consider to be, with great respect, a very bad decision -- very bad for the safety and security of our country. The rollout was perfect," he continued.
Trump has said his directive was necessary to protect the United States from attacks by Islamist militants. It barred people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from entering the country for 90 days. Refugees were banned for 120 days, except those from Syria, who were banned indefinitely.
U.S. District Judge James Robart in Seattle suspended the order nationwide after Washington state challenged its legality, eliciting a barrage of angry Twitter messages from Trump against the judge and the court system. A three judge 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel last week upheld Robart's ruling.
He said the new order would be written to conform to legal rulings. "The new order is going to be very much tailored to the, what I consider to be a very bad decision. But we can tailor the order to that decision and get just about everything -- in some ways, more," he said.