Turkey Imposes Curfew In 18 Villages In Southeast Of The Country
The Turkish government announced a curfew in 18 villages in the southeast of Turkey on Thursday (April 13) as part of military operations against the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).
A statement released by Diyabakir authorities on Thursday (April 13) said the curfew would affect 14 villages in Lice, Kocakoy and Hezro districts in Diyarbakir.
Bitlis governorate also announced a curfew in four villages of the province.
A source from the Ministry of Interior said that Turkish security forces had launched operations in 21 areas in the Kurdish southeast of Turkey, detaining 412 people accused of having links to the PKK.
The source added that a number of weapons and ammunition were also seized.
An explosion hit a police compound in Diyarbakir on Tuesday (April 11), killing three people and wounding several others.
Earlier in the week an explosion hit a police compound in Diyarbakir on Tuesday (April 11), killing three people and wounding several others.
The HPG said the bomb attack was launched by the group’s fighters in retaliation for Turkish arrests and oppression against Kurds and was to “remember Diyarbakir’s martyrs.”
Turkey is currently embroiled in a three-decade long conflict with the PKK which has also seen the Kurdish group carrying out attacks on the state targeting Turkish security services.