Air Strikes Killed Dozens Of Civilians In Western Mosul, Rights Group Says
Dozens of civilians were killed in two air strikes believed to have been conducted by the anti-Islamic State (ISIS) U.S.-led coalition on April 10 and April 15 in the western sector of Mosul, the Iraqi Observatory for Human Rights reported on Sunday (April 16).
Six families were killed in the district of Yarmouk as a result of an air strike on April 10 against a suspected ISIS home where civilians had taken refuge, the observatory group said.
The house was bombed one hour after the escape of an ISIS militant from the roof of the home which was probably not observed by fighter jets, according to a survivor of the aerial bombardment, Laith al-Rashdi.
Rashdi reportedly lost four daughters, his wife’s father and mother and his brother’s daughter, who had taken refuge along with another five families in the house.
“I expect that the number of victims reached 30 civilians beneath the rubble of the house," Rashdi said as cited by the Iraqi Observatory for Human Rights.
The family of Ghanim Sobhiya, who included 42 people, was killed in a separate air raid at dawn on April 15, local residents of Bab Sinjar told the Iraqi Observatory for Human Rights.
Earlier this month, the observatory cited unconfirmed reports that 700 civilians have been killed by government and coalition air strikes or ISIS action since the campaign against western Mosul began on February 19.
As many as 200 civilians were reported to have been killed in a U.S.-led coalition air strike which struck a building packed with civilians on March 17.
ISIS militants captured Mosul, Iraq's second largest city, when they swept across the country's north in the summer of 2014. Iraqi forces have gradually clawed back territory since then, and launched a massive operation to retake Mosul in October last year.