Isis Fight Led To Displacement Of Around 4 Million People, Iraqi Minister Says
In the last three years as many as four million people have been displaced due to Islamic State (ISIS) violence, of whom around two million have now returned to their liberated areas, said Minister of Migration and Displacement in Iraq, Darbaz Mohammed, on Saturday (April 22).
Since an offensive began to regain Iraq’s second largest city of Mosul – where ISIS declared its so-called caliphate – around 550,000 people have been displaced but another 130,000 have returned to their cities and towns, Mohammed said.
According to Mohammed, the ISIS fight has resulted in a soaring immigration rate as around 200,000 people from Iraq and the Kurdistan Region have left the country.
As for Iraq’s reconstruction, Mohammed said there is need for a five-year period and $35 billion to restore the entire country from the destruction of war, calling for the international community’s assistance.
The battle to free Mosul is now in its seventh month and has taken a heavy toll on several hundred thousand civilians trapped in neighborhoods of the city that are still under the control of the militants.
The operation to regain full control of Mosul from ISIS began on October 17 last year.
Iraqi forces liberated the eastern side of Mosul in February and are currently battling to regain the western side from the militant group.