U.S. Announces $150 Million Provision To Help Iraq’s Stabilization

U.S. Announces $150 Million Provision To Help Iraq’s Stabilization

 The United States has announced it will provide $150 million to the United Nations Development Program to support Iraq’s stabilization in areas liberated from the Islamic State (ISIS).

U.S. State Department Spokeswoman Heather Nauert said during a press conference on Thursday (July 6) that the U.S. ambassador to Iraq announced the funds the day earlier on Wednesday (July 5).

“The funds will support efforts to establish basic security, re-establish essential services, restore local economies, stabilize communities, and allow Iraqis to finally return home,” Nauret added.

Nauert said the funds will be provided through USAID.

The funds bring the U.S. commitment to stabilization programs in Iraq to more than $265 million over the past two years, she noted.

The Iraqi government announced on June 19 the reconstruction would cost the government of Iraq $100 billion USD and it will take ten years to rebuild areas damaged in the fight against the ISIS.

The war against ISIS, according to Iraqi government estimates, has resulted in damage to 90 percent of areas in war-torn Anbar, making the governorate the most affected. The governorate of Nineveh had damage inflicted to 60 percent of its territory and the governorate of Salahadin 50 percent.

The United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq, Lise Grande, said a U.S.-backed Iraqi offensive against ISIS nearly completely destroyed six districts in western Mosul, and getting basic infrastructure across the city running again will cost more than $1 billion.